Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Francis Fukuyama, NeoCon, feels misunderstood and unloved.


Excuse me, while I wipe the tears from my eyes.

Fukuyama, a leading proponent of the invasion of Iraq, has since recanted. And he has found the reaction bewildering.


SEVEN WEEKS AGO, I published my case against the Iraq war. I wrote that
although
I had originally advocated military intervention in Iraq, and had
even signed a
letter to that effect shortly after the 9/11 attacks, I had
since changed my
mind.

But apparently this kind of honest acknowledgment is verboten. In the
weeks since my book came out, I've been challenged, attacked and vilified
from
both ends of the ideological spectrum. From the right, columnist
Charles
Krauthammer has accused me of being an opportunistic traitor to the
neoconservative cause and a coward to boot. From the left, I've been told
that
I have "blood on my hands" for having initially favored toppling Saddam
Hussein
and that my "apology" won't be accepted.

Welcome to the real world Mr. Fukuyama, those of us who have opposed this war since the threat first came out of Bush's lying mouth, have been vilified and condemned by the right wing propaganda machine and it's parrots for years. I can't count the times that I have been called traitor or communist and those are the nice things. Besides these guys were your buddies, where were you when they were attacking us?

As for the left, don't attribute us with the same lack of intelligence that you exhibited before the war. If a hillbilly with some community college knew the consequences of this war that you so avidly propounded with the benefit of your Harvard Ph.D, you have no excuses. There's been too much water under the bridge now, so your apology is worthless.

The rest of your "Why Don't You Love Me?" article contains extenuating and mitigating situations that you seem to think actually justified your call for invasion. Sorry dude, no one with any sense will believe it.

Thanks to you and others of your ilk, this country has reached a tipping point where we can no longer afford stupidity in high places.

However I am glad you seem to have seen the light. But, at this time, I think the best thing you can do for our country is to retreat into obscurity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it.

John Stuart Mill (May 20 1806 – May 8 1873)